Thursday, November 3, 2011

A Silk Sock

I like to knit socks.

After the obligatory scarves, a couple of hats, and several pairs of fingerless mitts (more on that later), and a shrug for my daughter that had a severely intense decrease going on way and a corresponding increase on the other side (2:1 and 1:2 respectively), I decided to tackle socks.

I tried a short-row heel but decided that wasn’t for me. My mother had knit socks and she did the whole heel flap/gusset thing, which I think looks much more elegant. I also tried the two-circular-needles technique. Again, not my thing. I seem to do fine with one sock at a time and still ending up with a pair.

The first couple of pair I made (for myself as a test subject) were a little on the large side. But they keep my feet plenty warm in the winter.

I made a pair for my husband, from a pattern I found on the internet appropriately called the Gentlemen's Matrimony Celebratory Socks. If I recall correctly, I adjusted the pattern to fit him. Even then, I liked to fiddle with the math.

Since then, I have designed and made a pair for me, my daughter, and a select other lucky few.

But there is a sock project I have been working on sporadically for the last several months that speaks to my true obsessive-compulsive nature.

A pair of silk socks.

On size 0 needles.


This is what I’ve accomplished thus far. One hundred and five rounds of K3P2 rib and 6 rows of slipstitched heel flap.

This is actually the second silk sock I've worked on. The first one I attempted to introduce a cable stitch, but I couldn't find a cable needle or cable needle substitute that was small enough. So eventually I decided to cut my losses, ripped it back and started over. I decided that if I was going to knit a pair of silk socks, I better be pleased with the result, and cables just wasn’t the way to go.

Back to the drawing board, and a simple rib.

So far, so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment