Wednesday, November 16, 2011

(Nearly) Mindless Knitting

Sometimes, I need some knitting that I don’t need to think much about while I’m working on it. The most mindless knitting would be a garter stitch scarf, and I admit I made a few of those when I first began knitting. But I don’t really like garter stitch.

The next most mindless knitting would be alternative rows of stockinette and purl, but that rolls under at the edges. I think there is a way to avoid that, but I’m not sure what it is.

So what I like to do is what’s called a mistake rib. I think there are one or two other names for it, but when I came across it the first time, that is what it was called, so that’s what I call it. It's a 3-stitch repeat of K2P1, back and forth.


This scarf is made from a yummy worsted yarn from Malabrigo called 176 Loro Barranquero. Pure merino wool. Very soft. The kind of yarn you see yarn shop customers caressing.

I don’t know when it will be completed; I don’t work on it very often. And it’s not completely mindless. I do have to pay a little bit of attention or I do something like make a an extra knit stitch and don’t realize my mistake until the end of the row when I only have two stitches left when I should have three for the K2P1. Fortunately, the rows are quite short so the ”unknitting” isn’t too hard to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment