Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Hummers

Several years ago, my oldest sister gave me a hummingbird feeder. But I didn’t really have a good place to hang it at the house I was living in at the time. So it lived in the garage on the workbench, in its original packaging.

Fast forward a few years. I meet my lovely (now) husband Tim and we buy a house together. A couple of years pass, and I decide I really really want to put up a bird feeder, or two (more on that later).

I hang it outside the window over the kitchen sink. It takes maybe a couple of weeks before the first hummingbird sighting, but now they are regular visitors. Well, at least one or two. I've never seen more than one at a time hovering there, but there is at least one male and one female.

Funny story: last Sunday morning, I brought in the feeder to rinse it out and change the sugar water. While I was at the sink rinsing it out, a hummingbird flew up. But the feeder is not there! He hovers here, flits over there, hovers, flies to where the feeder SHOULD be, but it’s gone! Where did it go? It was here just a minute ago!

I refill it, hang it up, and wait patiently. Within half an hour, he returns.


No comments:

Post a Comment