Thursday, June 21, 2012

Butterfly

A number of years ago, my sister gave me a poster she had designed and made from construction paper and posterboard. I've displayed it on my wall at various residences, but for quite awhile now it has been stored away with other old wall art. But I've kept it all this time because I treasure the things that were handmade especially for me.


The colors have faded over time, but the graphic appeal remains.

A few months ago, I was casting about for ideas for a new Craftsy pattern, and this poster came to mind. I called up my sister and asked her if she minded if I turned it into a quilting pattern. (I recently took a course on copyright law; it was very eye-opening. Apparently, any original work that is "created and fixed in a tangible form" enjoys automatic copyright protection.) I would have been surprised if my sister had declined, but asking still seemed like the right thing to do.


It has taken me a fair bit of time to make the project and complete the instructions (this past quarter of school was particularly challenging and time-consuming), but it's finally done. 



No comments:

Post a Comment