Friday, January 13, 2012

Ohio Star Blocks

A couple months ago, I posted this, which included a photo of some 8-1/2" x 10-1/2" precuts.

I like the Ohio Star block, but I needed more contrast than the precuts provided, so I cut an equal numbers of 8-1/2" x 10-1/2" rectangles from my stash.

I wanted to use as much of each rectangle as possible, so I tried out a number of different cutting diagrams before I finally settled on this.


I added the Nine Patch in the center to use up more of each rectangle than if there was just a plain center square, and also to make the block a little more interesting.

The pieces from each rectangle will be used in two different blocks, one with a dark star and one with a light star, but never with the same fabric pair.

Here are my first four blocks.


In addition to the positive/negative theme, the center Nine Patch will vary between an “O” and an “X” arrangement. I will try to have an equal number of each.

No comments:

Post a Comment