Thursday, January 5, 2012

Hearts All Around

This is a quilt I made a fair number of years ago. It represents one of my few forays into traditional appliqué.


Hearts are a favorite motif of mine. Around the house are several pieces featuring hearts:


A wedding present from my sister



A small wall hanging I made several years ago, using a quilting pattern published in Quilter's Newsletter



A tole-painted heart by my aunt Marlys



An early heart-in-hand pillow I made for my parents, featuring my then-7-year-old daughter’s hands


Anyway, the hearts in the quilt pictured above were fussy-cut from the leftover fabric from a jumper I made for my daughter when she was around the age of 6. I may even have kept the dress. Somewhere there is a box with some of her clothes from back-in-the-day that are just too cute or precious to give to Goodwill. A knitted baby sweater. Knitted booties and a cap. A baby blanket.

Here are a couple close-ups of the quilt. You can still see the pencil lines marking the quilting pattern, because the quilt has never been washed.


No comments:

Post a Comment