Monday, January 9, 2012

Back to School

Today was the first day of school.

Some of my faithful readers may already know this, but I was “let go” from my job on November 30 after 18-1/2 years.

Much has changed since I last had to go job-hunting. Everybody wants web skills — HTML, Flash, Dreamweaver, etc. So through the auspices of the Washington State Employment Security Department, I am taking advantage of the Worker Retraining benefit, and today began studying toward an AAAS (Associate of Applied Arts and Sciences) degree in Visual Communications Technology: Multimedia Video track. If all goes well, I will graduate in June 2013 with new, more marketable skills.

The next eleven or so weeks will keep me hopping. I’m taking Principles of Marketing, Beginning Photography, and Photoshop I. All three classes have a lab component, even the Marketing class. I expect that I will be able to upload images from class assignments for the Photography and Photoshop classes.

Stay tuned!

4 comments:

  1. Way to go Laurel. I need a web designer!!! I'll stay tuned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an amazingly talented person, so I suspect you'll have no problems acing your classes. And just think, when you're all done, you'll have a nice AAAS. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. please ask the marketing people how much advertising on a page makes it counterproductive? then there's the ads that jump around and even talk. ick.

    ReplyDelete