Tuesday, May 13, 2014

BIMA

In the years that we have been together, Tim and I have taken a number of ferry trips to a variety of destinations — Vashon Island, Friday Harbor, Bremerton, Bainbridge Island.

Personally, I like to space out my trips back to the same place, because usually there's not anything new or different to see. But when Tim suggested that we take the ferry from downtown Seattle over to Bainbridge Island to visit the new Museum of Art, I was all for it.

You can't miss it. The location is ideal. You'd have to go out of your way to not walk past it on the way from the ferry dock to the downtown area.

Unexpectedly, admission is free (though I did make a donation as we left). Also, the museum has a very liberal policy on photography. When I inquired, they said I was free to take pictures of anything and everything, so long as I did not use flash.

The museum's focus is more on arts and crafts, kind of like the Bellevue Art Museum, rather than fine art like the Seattle Art Museum. Although we have a membership at the SAM and enjoy going there, some of the exhibits there don't engage me. Even though I have a slightly better understanding of Modern Art from taking art history while I was at Shoreline Community College, it's not something I generally find myself liking.

At BIMA, however, even some of the more abstract pieces felt more accessible to me. Perhaps because there was some resemblance to recognizable forms.

Petroglyphs by Glenda Guilmet
Some were more abstract but still evocative.

Tsunami by Tracy Lang

Generally, I guess I have to say that I have a greater appreciation for art in which I can see a mastery of technique necessary to create the work in question.

Ms. Susuma II by Shawn Nordfors
Contemporary Man by Shawn Nordfors

by Heikki Seppa

by Heikki Seppa

by Heikki Seppa

Shilshole by Alfredo Arreguin




This was in a hallway upstairs. I did not see a card with the artist's name.


Also in a hallway without a card. This appealed to the quilter in me.

Several pieces had a humorous aspect, sometimes with an edge, with additional meaning communicated through the work's title.

Pleaser by Sue Roberts


Safe Risk by Sue Roberts
Armchair Adventure by Sue Roberts

Beginner by Karen Buhler

New to the Neighborhood by Karen Buhler

Practice by Karen Buhler

The Power of Self Esteem by Eileen Sorg

Some were just fun.

Out on a Limb by Debbie Fecher-Gramstad

SeaQuester by Linda Jarvis

Signum by David Eisenhour

Spring by David Eisenhour

The gallery on the second flour was devoted to more sculptures by David Eisenhour. These seemed to derive their inspiration from organic forms found in the sea.

Old Growth

Earth Stinger

Progression II


Endless Forms


Orchid

Ibex

Hinge



Shell Game









No comments:

Post a Comment