Sunday, August 4, 2013

Lillian's Star Quilt

A couple of days ago, I finished painting the doors and the door trim in the spare bedroom and moved everything back in from the living room.

In my first post about this project, I neglected to mention why we chose blue.

It was to coordinate with this quilt. (The walls in this photo are rather washed out. If you look at the bit of wall showing through the nightstand, that is closer to the new paint color.)


This is a quilt that I made for my daughter a number of years ago, probably around 2002 or 2003. The block is “Ohio Star” from 50 Fabulous Paper-Pieced Stars by Carol Doak, one of literally hundreds of books I illustrated during my 20-year association with Martingale & Co.


The original block as presented in the book did not have the little star units at the corner. I added those, and I also designed an alternate setting block.


The bed frame and side table are part of a set that includes a dresser. They are made of maple and date from the 1930s, when they first belonged for my mom's younger sister, Fern. The furniture was passed on to my family, I think it was sometime in the early 1970s. I remember having the set in my bedroom when I was in high school.


Later on, the pieces passed into my possession and I put it in my daughter's room when she outgrew her toddler bed.

The piece on the dresser was made by my dad, who was an accomplished woodworker. He specialized in making smaller items with lots of detail. This fisherman was originally made for my uncle Ray, an avid sportsman. At some point, my older sister acquired it. Recently, she offered it to me during a round of downsizing.

The fisherman shows a particular characteristic of some of my dad's work. His profile exhibits my dad's unique cartoon-style of drawing.


No comments:

Post a Comment