Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Fractured Squares Quilt

Last week, I uploaded a new quilt pattern to my Etsy page. [Update April 25, 2020: This pattern is now available through Pacific Fabrics.]


I really like this design. It is very simple to put together, and quite striking (if I do say so myself). I like the "op-art" effect from the alternating light and dark values combined with the various diagonal lines created by the arrangement of the blocks.

When I designed this quilt, the parameter I set was to see what I could come up with using just 2-1/2"-wide strips. I could have used a set of precut strips, but I'm trying to limit myself to using just what's in my stash, as much as possible. (I did go out and buy yardage for the backing.)

As is my wont, I handquilted it. I worked on it so diligently (a couple of hours most evenings while watching television), that I developed a case of bursitis in my left elbow.

Who knew quilting could be hazardous to your health?!



6 comments:

  1. LOve this quilt - nice job with the colors. Is there a pattern for this or did you just wing it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you like it! The pattern is available for purchase at my Etsy store. https://www.etsy.com/listing/666767002/fractured-squares?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=fractured+squares&ref=sr_gallery-1-2&organic_search_click=1

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is this pattern still available?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is now available here.
    https://www.pacificfabrics.com/shop/c/p/Fractured-Squares-x47256836.htm

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Unfortunately they are closed right now due to Covid.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The brick and mortar stores are closed, but I believe you can order one through the website.

    ReplyDelete