Sunday, May 5, 2013

Zentangle

A couple months ago, the craftsy blog featured an article about Zentangles. I thought, That looks like fun!

Rather than investing in their kit, however, I requested some books from the library. I picked up the first one a few weeks ago, but only today did I have some free time to sit down and try it out.

I had managed to buy a Pigma pen and a sketchbook, and I had made my own 3-1/2" template for drawing the outline for the image area.

 This is my first effort.


I can't help being somewhat self-critical. It's kind of low-contrast, and not nearly as "artistic" as the examples included in the book. But that's really not the point.

It was fun to just focus on drawing the lines and the patterns. It reminded me of how I would zone in (zen in?) on the illustrations I did for the publishing company I used to work for. A lot of what I did then was recreating distinctive fabric prints, such as these:


No comments:

Post a Comment