Saturday, March 31, 2012

Double Wedding Ring

I started this quilt about eight years ago. It seems like longer ago, but I can date its genesis because some of the fabrics used in it were not in my possession before 2004.


I redrafted the pattern because I wanted smoother intersections between the circles. Other patterns I'd seen had square, clunky intersections. Mine are smoother, and slightly diamond-shaped.

First, I foundation-pieced the arcs. Then I sewed the arcs to the lozenge shapes. Then I sewed those units to the I-don't-know-what-those-shapes-are-called.

Then sewing the units into rows, and then sewing the rows together.

For the basting, I took it to a local quilt shop which has a large teaching space. When they're not holding classes, people can come in and use their large tables. A good friend of mine helped me pin-baste it. (She’s a really good friend!)

Next came the quilting (hand quilting that is). I started by outline-quilting just inside all the light areas. Then I designed my own heart-and-feather motifs to fit the odd outlines of the light areas. I’ve been working on that for probably the last five years or so.



I would have finished sooner, but there have been some times where I didn’t work on it. Such as the summertime. When it’s too hot. To be buried under a huge mass of quilt.

But, about a week or so ago, I realized that I was . . . almost . . . done. It was a little anticlimactic, the way it snuck up on me.

In preparation for the last step — sewing on the binding — I sewed together a variety of short strips for a scrappy binding. Yesterday, I spent about an hour sewing it to the quilt, being as careful as I could on the scallops.

Last night, I started hand stitching it to the back.

3 comments:

  1. It is beautiful! I am in the process of making a king sized 2x wedding ring. I have the first row done and hand quilted and have started on row two. I am having trouble with the diamond shaped intersection. it wont lay right. It looks wonky. can you help?? the lady who taught me refuses to help me now because I bought fabric from someone else and not from her shop (I try to spread the wealth and the other fabric was on sale). Thank you for your time and consideration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. King-sized? You are ambitious! More power to you! The diamond intersection should lie flat, or pretty much so. I don't remember having any trouble with it. The only thing I can think of is to check your seam allowances.

      Delete
  2. Hi Laurel!

    I would like to feature your wedding ring quilt pattern on the Craftsy blog, and wondered if I could have permission to use the photo of the quilt on the bed featured on your blog at:

    http://laurelsstudio.blogspot.com/2012/03/double-wedding-ring.html

    I would include your name and a link to your blog and/or Craftsy user profile as a photo credit. Please let me know what you think!

    ReplyDelete