Saturday, July 19, 2014

Impressions of Sweden: They Like Their Statues

Maybe this goes along with being an older, European city. But there were lots of statues in Stockholm.

Also sculptural details on buildings, as well as more more modern-type public art. What's represented here is not everything that I saw — there were a number of pieces that I, regrettably, did not photograph.

I also didn't do the best job of documenting the names, locations, and other details. Some I did take a picture of the plaque detailing such information; others, not. Some I was able to locate relevant web pages; others, not, such as this one.



If I ever go back to Stockholm, I'd like to visit the sculpture garden for this artist, Carl Milles.

Orpheus Group by Carl Milles

This next one, I saw during a boat tour of Stockholm.


At The Opera House





At the Nordiska Museet.





In honor of Astrid Lindgren, author of the "Pippi Longstocking" books.


Two different fountains.

How to strangle a fish

How to kill a dragon


Seen as we were leaving the Royal Palace after our tour.





Also at the Royal Palace, near the front promenade.


In a more modern vein, there was La Mano.


And "Sjaan" (1987) by Sigurdur Gudmundsson (b. 1942).



And in a lighter vein . . . Bananas in Trees . . .


 . . . and Plastic Balls in Trees.


Little Dancing Man by the Water.


In Växjö, "Durus och Mollis" (2008)  by Monika Gora.


And last, but certainly not least . . . because it's all about the yarn . . .


No comments:

Post a Comment