Sunday, December 22, 2013

Curried Shrimp Chowder

Yesterday, my husband and I sat down to do some meal planning for the coming week and round out our grocery shopping list.

Every so often, Tim likes to make clam chowder. He has not made it in awhile, and floated the idea. I like his clam chowder very well. Usually, we buy a couple of cans of clams, which is fine. But this week it morphed into something else.

It started when I suggested that we use some sort of firm white fish instead of clams. But when we got to the market, their white fish didn't look all that great. But they had shrimp! But I had to promise to peel them.

Today, while we were out and about, I asked Tim, could we add curry powder? Tim responded, I don't think it would work with the milk, but maybe coconut milk? I said, that sound great!

A plan began to develop in Tim's mind.

He sautéed onions and garlic in one pot, and cooked about 2-1/2 pounds of small red potatoes (cubed) (unpeeled) in a separate pot, so he could drain off the starchy water. When the potatoes were fork tender, he added two cans of coconut milk to the onions and added the potatoes as well as some cardamom, turmeric, cumin, salt, and black pepper. When that was heated through, he added the shrimp and simmered just until the shrimp were pink.

It was very tasty, but I'm not sure it conforms to the strict definition of chowder.

No comments:

Post a Comment