I don't remember exactly what my inspiration was. Did I pull the various leaf fabrics from my stash, or purchase them specifically for this project? I'm pretty sure the yellow background was acquired just for this project — I tend not to have much in the way of yellow fabrics.
I didn't have a design wall back then, but the quilt is small enough that it didn't matter. I probably just arranged them on a table more or less the way I wanted them, and then proceeded to add appropriately sized yellow strips, trimming as necessary as I went along.
Before adding the scrappy binding, I marked the top with a simple leaf pattern, connecting the individual leaves with short curved lines to create a "vine-y" look, and hand quilted it with contrasting brown thread.
I've expanded on the basic idea, and designed a larger quilt as well as a table runner. Now I just need to make them!