Saturday, October 29, 2011

Introduction

Hi. I’ve been contemplating starting this blog for awhile, and I finally just went ahead and did it, even though I’m not sure I’m really ready. See, I have this thing called a Full-Time Job that keeps me pretty busy most of the time. But I still manage to pursue various activities on the evenings and weekends.

Back when I was in high school, I started embroidering, I think partly because my oldest sister was into it. Then I tried crocheting, then quiltmaking. A few years ago I picked up knitting. My mom had tried to teach me when I was about ten years old, but it didn’t hold my interest. When I tried it again though, I was amazed how the muscle memory was still there. It was like, “Yeah, I remember this. Yeah, this is kinda familiar.’’

One of these years, I’ll try needlepunch. I got a starter kit awhile back, but have enough Unfinished Projects already.

I also like to dabble in photography and I like to try new recipes. My lovely husband is always a willing test subject.


For this, my inaugural post, I’m going to share one of my signature projects— my hand pillows. I pretty much always have one of these going. I like doing them because it’s fun to combine a variety of fabrics that can be very dissimilar, and the hands and hearts are stitched down with a hand buttonhole stitch which is very repetitious and doesn’t take a lot of thought and also impresses the hell out of people.


My latest completed hand pillow


Close up of hand buttonhole stitch


The next one ready for stitching

1 comment:

  1. Hey Laurel, welcome to blogland!

    Great post--I've never seen your hand pillows before and they are cute! Looking forward to reading and seeing more.

    ReplyDelete